I will be leading a 5 day workshop on October 7th-11th, 2015 in the incredibly photogenic environment of Death Valley, California. Located near the border of California & Nevada, Death Valley is filled with breathtaking desert scenery & unique geological formations. It’s 3.3 million acres is home to rare desert wildlife, undisturbed wilderness, colorful rocks and canyons, unique evaporative salt features and miles of pristine sand dunes. It is magical place and is a photographers paradise and we will be photographing the graceful and ever-changing sand dunes, Zabriski Point, geological wonders and the infamous Racetrack. Death Valley’s great diversity of landscapes makes it a rare and unique place for photography.
** Update…as of August 2015. Trip has been sold out for months but now have two cancellations…. so there are two spots open. Please email me if you want to join us!! **
Not only will be photographing these in the best light of sunrise and sunset but then return to photograph the amazing night sky. We have timed this workshop perfectly to be during the new moon, when no moon in present, to get dark skies. We will be up early and stay out late some nights to capture the right light and mood in our mages. Death Valley’s low rainfall and clear skies make it the perfect place for night photography. We will photograph stars as points of light, star trails, painting with light and other special techniques for photographing at night. It is an incredibly special place for photographing day and night and you will walk away with many new shooting skills.
I have done workshops all over the world but absolutely love what Death Valley has to offer. Doing workshops in this amazing location gives people the chance to expand their horizons with their photography and hang out with others that share their passion. Just being out after dark, learning how to capture the night sky and chilling out under the Milky Way is incredibly addicting and every time we are there it is different. I will be showing many different images from past trips to give everyone ideas and to help push their creativity and feel more comfortable with where and when we will be shooting. There won’t be a lot of sleep on this workshop as we will be out late and up early and be totally immersed in trying to capture this pretty special part of the US.
IN THIS WORKSHOP YOU WILL LEARN:
• Stepping out of your comfort zone to create powerful & timeless images
• How to scout out the best light & compositions
• How to shoot the stars as points of light & star trails with multiple exposures.
• Lightpainting techniques and which gear works best
• Photoshop techniques including HDR & converting to black & white
• Pushing the limits of your camera gear more than usual
• Shooting with a super telephoto
The workshop begins at 3:00 pm on Wednesday, October 7th and ends on Sunday, October 11th after lunch. This will allow people ample time to return home.
Death Valley National Park is situated in eastern California. The nearest airport is Las Vegas and it takes about 2 hours to drive to the hotel. It is about 10 hours from the Bay area and about 4 & a half to five hours from LA. Our hotel is at the heart of Death Valley and will serve well as a place to base our excursions.
The cost for the workshop is $1,275.00 per person which includes the 4×4 Jeep rentals for the Race Track and possibly Titus Canyon. Items not included are: lodging, meals, and transportation. We will carpool to locations and eat as a group at restaurants for socializing,, asking questions and continuing lecture discussions.
The workshop is limited to 12 participants.
This workshop is for the intermediate to advanced photographer who is comfortable with their equipment and has a good grasp of photographic principles and a basic understanding of their camera operations including using f/stops and shutter speed. Basic Photoshop is also recommended but not required as we will be covering many ways to help your images look their best with some easy tips and techniques.
- To register for The Landscape & Night Sky in Death Valley fill out the registration form and mail to the address listed. For the reg form & more information contact me here
2. Next, contact the hotel and make your room reservations. Stove Pipe Wells: https://www.stovepipewells.com/ Phone: 760.786.2387. Rooms are reserved under Scott Stulberg Photo Workshops. The hotel prices go up every year and I am not happy about this but there are only three choices in all of Death Valley and I love the location of Stovepipe Wells the best.