loose in the palouse • june 2022
Rolling wheatfields, farm houses, grain elevators
Red barns, tractors & the stunning Milky Way
June 1st-5th, 2022
** workshop full **
Beautiful rolling wheatfields
lots of cool animals
sunrise & sunsets
Lush green wheatfields
If you have never heard of the breathtaking Palouse region of Eastern Washington, it might be because it is one of the best kept secrets. If you have imagined driving through the gorgeous countryside of Tuscany in Italy, this is almost the next best thing. Home to the second largest wheatfields in the world, next to Russia, the Palouse region is filled with the most gorgeous shades of green, yellow and even red rolling hills in every direction. These fields are a photographers paradise and we will be shooting them from every angle possible during June, the most colorful month of the year.
Stunning red barns
Farm houses, grain elevators, old weathered barns, bridges, tractors and classic scenes of rural America are scattered all around the countryside. The patterns from these wheat fields are addicting and the cloud formations at this time of year in the Palouse can be dazzling in photos. Summer is the best time to capture this one of a kind landscape as the lush green fields are stunning! Our last workshops were amazing as we had great weather and great people which added to a perfect workshop.
I have used my GPS all over the Palouse to map out many of my favorite spots so that we don’t miss anything. We will also be photographing at night and try to capture barns, old pick up trucks and other things after dark with light painting as the Palouse region has so much to offer. New windmills were put in about 4 years ago and we will visit them and capture images right underneath them as they are incredible to photograph in between all the greenery.
There will be a lot shooting including very early mornings with not a ton of sleep and we will all carpool to the locations to have less cars on the road. These workshops are a ton of fun and the photo ops are amazing in every direction. The Palouse is one of my favorite places on earth to shoot and this workshop will show you some very special places all over the region to capture powerful images. To see images from past workshops, check them out here: The Palouse Workshops
We will also have instruction in the meeting room at the hotel and go over everything from camera techniques to the digital workflow. Many aspects of Photoshop will be covered that will help push your images of the Palouse to different levels including mastering layer masks and exploring the best Photoshop plugins. Photoshop is a photographers best friend and we will see how it can help almost any image. The meetings in the conference room will help everyone understand how to capture the Palouse and how to really make them look their best with post processing!!
I have also planned the workshop to coincide with the new moon and we will have totally dark skies for shooting the Palouse after dark. We will light paint barns and tractors, abandoned houses or grain mills and work in complete darkness with our headlamps and flashlights. We will also photograph the night sky and hopefully get great shots with star filled skies including the Milky Way, which I love to capture after dark. Weather permitting, I hope to have everyone get great cloud filled days and star filled nights.
This workshop should have it all as I know the Palouse well and I want everyone to come away with some of the best images possible from this incredible place!! I keep you up late and get you up the crack of dawn….but that is what it takes to get some of the best shots of your life up there!!
in this workshop – we will cover
• How to create more dynamic images
• Capturing motion blur with clouds
• How to scout out the best light & compositions
• Finding great locations for your images
• How to shoot panoramas, HDR and multiple exposures
• Photoshop techniques including HDR , panoramas & converting to black & white
• How to master your camera gear
• Focus stacking techniques
• How to improve your travel photography
• Understanding Photo Pills in the classroom and outdoors
• Shooting after dark including light painting with flashlights and gels and also the night sky with stars and the Milky way
• Shooting long exposures using 6 and 15 or 16 stop Neutral Density filters
Time & Logistics
The workshop begins at 4:00 pm on Wednesday, June 1st, 2022 and ends on Sunday, June 5th, 2022 after mid morning. This will allow people ample time to return home or you.
The Palouse region is situated in eastern Washington. The nearest airport is Spokane and is approx. 65 miles from the hotel. There are many car rental places at the Spokane Airport to rent a car for the drive to the hotel with plenty of discounts online too. You can also share a rental car with someone else from the workshop and I can work with everyone on this too.
The cost for the workshop is $1,275 per person. Items not included are: lodging, meals, and transportation. We will carpool to locations and eat as a group at restaurants for socializing, asking questions and continuing lecture discussions. Some people can also share a room with someone else if they choose and I can help to see who might want to share a room.
You can also plan to arrive around the same time as someone else and share the car to town. We will also be carpooling during the workshop and we will pick the carpools on the first day. Please email me here if you want to save a space for this workshop. I absolutely love this insanely photogenic part of the USA.
Basic understanding of your camera operations including using f/stops and shutter speed is needed for this workshop. Basic Photoshop is recommended. This workshop is for the intermediate to advanced photographer wanting to master sunrise & sunset light, composition and camera technique.
- To register for The Palouse Workshop 2022, fill out the registration form I will email to you and mail it back to me. After registration, I will send out a detailed letter with lots of info on the workshop and also what to bring.
2. Next, I will send a link to contact the hotel where we will be staying at to make your room reservations. We will be staying for the first time at the amazing Courtyard by Marriott in the town of Pullman. Rooms will be reserved under Scott Stulberg Photo Workshops and our room rates are fantastic, between $119 – $129 depending on your choice of room for King, double Queen or extended double Queen. The conference rooms are also gorgeous and I cannot wait to stay at this new hotel!
RESIDENCE INN BY MARRIOTT | 1255 NE North Fairway Road | www.residenceinn.com